Finding a good lesbian movie isn't an easy task, let alone a good holiday lesbian movie — it's slim pickings when you start getting into subcategories. But, Happiest Season is one of the best lesbian holiday romantic comedies that we've seen! Not only that, but it also sets the stage for what will likely be the most controversial lesbian ship debate of the year... are you Team Harper or Team Riley?
SUMMARY OF HAPPIEST SEASON
In a nutshell, Happiest Season is about the eventful week leading into Christmas where Abby, played by Kristen Stewart, agrees to spend the holidays with her girlfriend, Harper, played by Mackenzie Davis, and Harper's family.
Turns out, Harper never came out to her parents or siblings and wants KStew- I mean, Abby, to stay in the proverbial closet with her until after the holidays. While Abby agrees, this makes each day in Harper's conservative hometown more unbearable than the next. As Harper puts distance between herself and Abby as she helps her dad run for mayor and reconnects with high school friends, Abby ends up finding companionship in Riley, played by Aubrey Plaza. Riley is Harper's childhood friend/ex-girlfriend and easily bonds with Abby because she can relate to what she's going through.
Harper and Abby are clearly in love with each other, but Riley has such great chemistry with Abby as well — Chia and I have our disagreements about this. Also, why is KStew always in movies where she's torn between two love interests?
So... are you Team Harper or Team Riley?! To help you decide, we've put together the cutest moments between and reasons for Abby and Harper (Harpy) as well as for Abby and Riley (Abley):
REASONS FOR TEAM HARPER 👇
1. Coming out is tough, especially if you come from a conservative household and public appearances matter. But, in spite of all of this, Harper bites the bullet and declares her love for Abby in front of her family.
2. At the start of the movie, it's clear that Harper and Abby have the perfect relationship and Abby wants to solidify this by marrying her.
3. In spite of her dysfunctional family, Harper makes an effort to check in on Abby and make sure she's relaxed 😘
4. Harper opens Abby's eyes to how Christmas can be a great holiday and shows her new experiences/perspectives.
5. Harper doesn't give up on their relationship and will do whatever it takes to be with Abby.
REASONS FOR TEAM RILEY 👇
1. Riley always shows up for Abby at the right time and place.
2. Riley is proudly out and understands Abby. They've both been through the same heartbreak.
3. Abby and Riley make the perfect singing duo.
4. Riley makes Abby laugh and knows how to cheer her up.
5. Riley appreciates Abby for who she is.
Have you watched Happiest Season? If not, you can watch it now on Hulu here. Let us know who you would ship Abby with!
Other Posts You Might Enjoy:
- 8 Must Watch Lesbian Holiday Movies with Happy Endings
- The Lesbian Holiday Gift Guide: 30 Cute & Thoughtful Ideas for Your Girlfriend
- The Ultimate List of Lesbian Movies to Watch